Monday, October 13, 2014

Quotes from BEATRICE & Descriptive Paragraphs from THE CHOSEN



Below I've placed three quotes from Beatrice for you to enjoy. Each of them is from a different chapter in the book.




Chapter 3 Quote


“It had been at least two months since I’d seen Mother and spoken to her, and I knew that it wouldn’t be easy to talk with her about that last year we’d lived in our mansion. Just as with me, I knew that her memories were fragmented, and whenever Fiona or I would try to talk to her about it, a dark cloud seemed to surround us. Mother would simply refuse to discuss it. But this time…this time it had to be different. This was something that needed to come out. I knew none of us could ever be happy or content in our lives until we’d faced it. We had to discover together what had happened, and if we could, maybe then we could finally put it all behind us.”




Chapter 7 Quote

“The time had flown by. She had written and scribbled note after note, and more and more pieces had clicked into place. Her eyes were red and tired, and the clock in the room had just struck 4:00 in the morning. Desperately needing sleep, she blew out the candle and reached for the blanket that Kirsty had left for her before going to bed. She then put down her pen, stretched out on the crumpled, leather couch and turned out the light on the end table. She slept, surrounded by papers, old tomes of history and the quiet ticking of the grandfather clock against the wall behind her.”



Chapter 24 Quote

“I attempted to reach out and touch something solid that I could push against. I had no sense of up or down or movement. I couldn’t feel or hear or smell, but I could see, not in the usual way, but in insignificant bursts that came sporadically as my eyelids opened and closed and opened and closed.  Within those small, fractured moments, I could see that I was surrounded and trapped in a dense, cinnamon-stained vapor that swirled into oblivion. I couldn’t remember how I’d entered that hell, and I had no memory of it ending.”





I've started working on the difficult chapter 4. I think I have the title finalized now and have planned more for chapter 5.
  • The Tower
  • The Reboot Ceremony
  • The Ship
  • Loon's Story

Here are two descriptive paragraphs from two different chapters of THE CHOSEN.




Chapter 3 Description

"Months and months had passed. She was deeper than normal in her dream cycle, with small red, blue and yellow lights blinking on the console and her slow breath clouding the transparent cover of the sleep chamber. A cap covered her shaved head and was designed to keep her brain functioning optimally during stasis. She was clothed in a breathable skin-tight suit that maintained her body temperature at the correct level, pulsed to stimulate her muscles and carried the fluids and food into her bloodstream necessary for being inactive for such a long period of time. Her light brown eyebrows and lashes lay quietly on her pale, frosted skin. The only noticeable movement was her slow heartbeat bumping up against her chest – the only sound was her monitor, constantly checking and recording her life signs. Out...In…Out…In… Slow and steady. Her breath kept pace with her moderated heartbeat. Out…In…Out…In… Her life hung on a thread in the dark, ready to awake and start anew."




Chapter 4 Description

"They walked further in silence. Their bare feet compacting the grains of sand and slapping against the damp surface; their senses taking in the warm air flowing over their skin, and the salt breeze and sea aromas floating up and surrounding them. The sounds of Sholar joined in as well, playing music in their ears, while the mighty ocean’s surf ebbed in and out, and the seabirds floated and soared in the magical sky with songs and shouts to each other. The day was glorious, and each of them was lost in their own musings…"


No comments:

Post a Comment