Thursday, February 20, 2014

Poem: As I Lay Dying


Before you read my poem below

You can learn more about my unpublished new science fiction novel, Rooms, and my published young adult novelette, Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy by clicking on the links below.


Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy published and for sale on Amazon.com
Paperback - $3.23
Kindle version - $0.99 





(Montgomery)


As I Lay Dying


As I lay dying
Surrounded by the immensity
Of life
And quieted by the certainty
Of death
I see your eyes

Dark dripping pools
Of concern
Worry
Fear
And the universal question
Of why?
Cascading down
Your dark, lit orbs
To mine
Holding tight to what was
Not wanting to let go

I lay
Somehow accepting

The visions and neurons
Firing with light speed
Taking me through the journey
Of my story

The warmth and joy
Of experiences
Some sad
Some happy
Some frightening
Some inspiring
But…
Intertwined
Combined
Collected
Into
It all

Knowing the days of my youth
Grabbing the ball
Playing the evening
Gathering together
By the fire
‘round the table
Into the night
Laughing
Telling stories
Being family

My homes
My friends
The food
The laughter
The lessons
My loves
The wilderness
The ocean
The rain – The wind
The sunsets
The children
The smiles

The lives
Touched
The music
The poetry
The awesome counterpoint of existence
And…
My daughter
The crux and essence
Of me

The sum of it
The undulating flow of it
The all-consuming power of it
Only I can see
Assess
And know

I am
Happy
I was here
Sad
I can’t help you
Confined
Yet free
As you look into me
Suffused in somberness
And the loneliness of
Being
Left behind

I pause and…
Know the time

I glance
While you fade

I focus on the inward beat
And breathe
Climaxing
Nearing the end
To this
A new beginning

All I can do is
Go forward
And ponder…

I came here on my own
I leave on my own
But with so much more
Do I leave

Am I ready?
Is anyone?

It’s late
It’s time
It’s here

My limp hand
Is clutched by yours
And held with tears
Of love unaware
Of my smile inside
As I know
I’ve lived completely
And
Joyfully

Copyright © Bob Stegner 2006

Image of Hands:
Montgomery, Martin/Alamy. Regrets of Dying. Digital image. Theguardian.com The Guardian, 1 Feb. 2012. Web. 20 Feb. 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment