Sunday, March 16, 2014

Planning and Writing My New Book

Before you read about my new book

This month I will learn if my unpublished novel, Rooms will move on to the next level in a competition that I've entered.  I'm hopeful, but we'll have to see how that goes.

You can learn more about Rooms, and my published young adult, forty page novelette, Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy by clicking on the links below.


Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy published and for sale on Amazon.com
Paperback - $3.23
Kindle version - $0.99 



(Forest)

New Book

I am extremely happy and lucky that I was able to live overseas and travel for the last five years.  I found places in Europe that lit my imagination and captured my soul.  These places, I'm sure, will influence my writing for years to come, and one of those places is the location of my next book.

The image above provides an impression of the mood that will be central to the new book, as it is a fantasy/mystery thriller that takes place in and around Edinburgh, Scotland. At the focal point of the book is an old family mansion owned and lived in by the Bauman family.  The family consists of Elizabeth, the Mother, her two children, Fiona and Ewan, and the family housekeeper and nanny named Mary McClellan.

I've been working hard on the basic plan for the book - the characters, the setting and the plot.  I think it's beginning to come together, and I've actually written the first two chapters and just started chapter 3. The challenge in writing this book, as I see it, will be in connecting all the dots between the twists and turns within the plot and being able to maintain the tension and the element of surprise while holding the story together. 

Also, as I write more, read other author's works and pay closer attention to the craft of writing, I see it more and more as allowing myself to slow down and visualize each scene in the story.  It's so important to not be afraid to allow oneself to take the time to paint the picture of each scene with details that richen the experience for both the writer and reader.  Maintaining a balance between painting those pictures through words and continuing the flow of the story are very important as well as laying down clues along the way that help the reader and allow the connection of all the story lines to blend together toward the climax.  I love writing more and more and feel that I've found something that I was meant to do - something that I've been moving toward through the many experiences of my life.

This new book is taking shape, and as I can tell you more, I will.


Tree/Moon Image from:
Forest Blue Moonlight Wallpapers.. Digital image. Travelization. N.p., 30 June 2012, Web. 16 Mar. 2014. <www.travelization.net>.



No comments:

Post a Comment