Tuesday, March 18, 2014

ROOMS Entry in Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest



(Amazon)






I recently entered a novel competition with my unpublished novel, Rooms.  That contest was the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. I was very excited about it and worked extremely hard on all the entry requirements and sent it in to Amazon before the deadline was up. Today I found out that I made it into the second round of judging.  Rooms made it into the top 2023 entries out of about 10,000, and in my category there are 398 entrants left. There will be one winner chosen out of each of the five categories.

The five categories in the contest are Romance, General Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Mystery & Thriller, and my category, Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror.  If you click here, you'll go to a page about the contest with all of the categories.  By clicking on the icon of each category, you can see the list of authors and titles that have moved on to the second round.

I'm very pleased!  This morning I woke knowing that this was the day that I'd find out if I was going on or not.  I found the document with the names in my category, clicked on it and looked down the list.  My heart was pounding! Then I saw my name, Bob Stegner, and then Rooms!  It was an amazing experience!

As I'm writing this post, I'm remembering one of the things that I had to do to enter the contest. I had to write a Pitch.  It's somewhat like a summary of the book but much more.  Not only is it a summary, but you have to somehow hit the plot highlights, show your writing style and present the protagonist all within 300 words or less. I'll never forget all the time spent writing, re-writing, and struggling over that part of the entry. The work paid off, though, as I made it into the second round.

This has been quite an experience!  You never know what will happen, but no matter what, I'm extremely happy that I made it this far and am hopeful!  I'm so attached to the characters and the story that I feel like they have moved on with me to the next part of the competition.

The next date that is important will be April 14th. That's when the top 500 Quarterfinalists will be announced.


Learn more about Rooms and my published, forty page young adult novel, Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy, by clicking on the links below.




Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy published and for sale on Amazon.com
Paperback - $3.23
Kindle version - $0.99 



Amazon Contest Logo image from:
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011


No comments:

Post a Comment