Tuesday, August 19, 2014

New Novel BEATRICE: First Description and Quote from Chapter 3


Before I talk about Beatrice, I just wanted to remind you  to check out my adult science fiction novel, Rooms, and my young adult novelette, Wheatgrass: An Irish Fantasy on Amazon if you haven't yet.






New Book: "Beatrice" - Fifth Draft is Complete & the First Description of the Book

(Forest)

The fifth draft of my new book, Beatrice, is finished. It now has thirty chapters and almost 78,000 words. All that I have left to do is read it one more time for content and very minimal editing, and I will publish it on Amazon.

Below, I am including the very first description of the book with a short quote from the third chapter and another from chapter twenty-four at the end. I am very excited about Beatrice and am thrilled to be this close to publishing it.

Please read the description below and let me know what you think.

Description of Beatrice

Chapter 3 Quote
“It had been at least two months since I’d seen Mother and spoken to her, and I knew that it wouldn’t be easy to talk with her about that last year we’d lived in our mansion. Just as with me, I knew that her memories were fragmented, and whenever Fiona or I would try to talk to her about it, a dark cloud seemed to surround us. Mother would simply refuse to discuss it. But this time…this time it had to be different. This was something that needed to come out. I knew none of us could ever be happy or content in our lives until we’d faced it. We had to discover together what had happened, and if we could, maybe then we could finally put it all behind us.”

My name is Ewan Bauman, and the year was 1987. It was October, the month of my eighteenth birthday, and we were going to have a huge bash at our old, historic mansion on our estate outside of Edinburgh.

However, the night of the party was also when Mother, Fiona and I lost pieces of our memories. Afterwards, none of us could recall anything that had happened during the party or for the rest of October. We even had trouble remembering some events from the Christmas of 1986 up until that time. It haunted and changed each of us to have a part of our lives simply vanish. We tried to get medical help, but the doctors were never really able to pinpoint a cause or bring back any of our memories.

Whatever traumatic event had produced the loss of memory had also damaged my family. We left our home on the estate, moved to different parts of Scotland, and from then on, there always seemed to be a wall between us - a dark hole that none of us was willing to look down.

Finally, in 2006, the tug and pull of that missing portion of our lives brought the three of us back together again. I’d decided that this simply had to end. I would take three months off work, and with the help of Mother and Fiona, we would dig into this and figure it out ourselves.

We did, and the search brought us closer together, but it also took us to a very sinister place - one that none of us could ever have imagined - a place from which we might never return.

Chapter 24 Quote
I attempted to reach out and touch something solid that I could push against. I had no sense of up or down or movement. I couldn’t feel or hear or smell, but I could see, not in the usual way, but in insignificant bursts that came sporadically as my eyelids opened and closed and opened and closed.  Within those small, fractured moments, I could see that I was surrounded and trapped in a dense, cinnamon-stained vapor that swirled into oblivion. I couldn’t remember how I’d entered that hell, and I had no memory of it ending.

Tree/Moon Image from:
Forest Blue Moonlight Wallpapers.. Digital image. Travelization. N.p., 30 June 2012, Web. 16 Mar. 2014. <www.travelization.net>.


No comments:

Post a Comment