Monday, August 10, 2015

Expanding My Writing

Cave of Dreams 


Cave of Dreams is my latest novel. It's my fifth and probably my most ambitious project to date. As I've written, studied, and read other authors, I've become more and more aware of the importance of details. Having a rich story that feels life-like and real to the reader beg the necessity and importance of them. There are scenes to be painted, character's to be enriched and enlivened, and the tremendous importance that details play in the plot as well. There are times, though, when you need to watch out for the pitfalls that one can encounter with details from either slathering the page with too many of them or trying to place them into a story at the wrong moment.

In Cave of Dreams, the number of characters has increased over my other novels as have the fine details that tick the story along - moment to moment. And, I'm painting my characters with richer and finer tones and qualities. All of this detail also teaches me patience and sometimes creates a need for more research to make sure that the work feels authentic and has some basis in fact, even if it is a fantasy, as this book is.

I've been working on Cave of Dreams since the beginning of June, and I'm only into the sixth chapter. So far, though, my chapters are longer, and I'm building the world of this story a lot more slowly and carefully than ever before. In those six chapters, I've almost written 25,000 words, and chapter six isn't even complete yet. I'm not a word counter, normally, but it is an indicator of what I know is happening in my writing.

I mentioned patience, and I know that I'm gaining that as an author. I'm really enjoying the slower pace. I've always loved writing descriptions anyway, and taking more time to lay out the scenes has become very enjoyable for me.

I also mentioned the possible pitfalls of too much detail. I'm watching for that and using places where I believe other authors have stepped over that cliff as my measuring tape. Sometimes simpler is better, so I'm doing my best to balance conciseness with rich texture. "Balance in all things..." has always been one of my mottos, and I think it definitely applies to writing as well.

I'm enjoying and learning and working hard on Cave of Dreams. The book should be done in five to six months. I'll be excited as always when I finish and look back on its development and the wonder of creating something from my mind. It's a ride that I relish and revel in!


Learn More About My Other Books
To learn more about my other books, click on the BOB'S BOOKS link at the top of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment