Tuesday, May 5, 2015

WRITER'S BLOCK!


(Coffman)

Well, this is no fun!

For the first time in almost 2 years of solid writing, I feel like I have a case of writer's block. It's an extremely strange and uncomfortable sensation. I DO NOT LIKE IT!

I just took time off from writing for three weeks, and now I'm trying to get back into it but am having trouble. It seems to be a combination of not doing it for a while and some fear of whether the words I lay down will be the best for the moment or for that particular scene. I'm even having difficulty picturing what's going on behind the words. Often I write by visualizing the book as a movie in my mind. IT'S JUST NOT WORKING AND THAT EMPTY PAGE IS NOT AN EASY THING TO LOOK AT!

I think I'm beginning to feel more pressure to write and am stopping the normal flow of words. Also, I was trying to decide whether to go back to Rooms and do some revisions or start my new book. I think I have to move on. I've done enough with Rooms and am proud of it, especially since it was my first novel. I need something new!

Maybe I have higher expectations of myself since completing The Chosen. Who knows...

However I look at it, I don't feel like it will last long, but I wanted to write about it since it's the first time it's happened to me. It's not a pleasant experience, but one that I know almost every author goes through. And that is the key, I think, to realize that and go through it to the other side. I have this feeling that once it's over, my writing will expand and grow even more.

But...I miss writing!

Oh...and by the way, after I wrote this entry, I sat down and started working. The words started coming. I could see the pictures again, and I feel much better. I think writing this helped a lot, and I'm writing again! :)


Writer's Block Image from:
Coffman, Drew. Writer's Block II. Digital image. Flickr. N.p., 19 July 2010. Web 5 May 2015.
<https.//www.flickr.com/photos/drecoffman/4815205740/>.CC Licensing agreement at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/


No comments:

Post a Comment