Friday, February 5, 2016

Traveling in Scotland and Writing BLACK GROTTO




In Scotland Working on Black Grotto


Well, it's wonderful to be spending time in the country that is the setting for my newest fantasy, Black Grotto. I've been in Inverness for a week and have finished another chapter. I'm working on chapter 23 at the moment. As when I was at home, it's still taking me a week or a little more to write a chapter, and the closer I get to the end of the book, the more slowly the chapters seem to progress.

I wanted to mention a character in the book. His name is Andrew Jade. He's a geologist and used to be a professor at Edinburgh University. I love the name because it's actually based on my two favorite pubtenders in Inverness. They work at the Castle Tavern, which is near Inverness Castle. I don't usually do the type of thing where a character has a name that relates to who they are or what they do, but in this case it just worked out, and I thought it was fun. A geologist with the last name "Jade", who would've thought?

I'll be in Inverness for another week and then off to Edinburgh where I'll probably discover even more great ales, superb whiskies, and fun food!

No comments:

Post a Comment